Tuesday 1 October 2013

Manish Arora (Fashion designer)

 
I have created a 3D piece in the style of Manish Arora's work. My favourite collection of his was the carnival collection, which included brightly coloured clothes in the shape of circus clothing and objects associated with circus. My favourite piece was the design which looked like a carousel so I took this idea forward to my own designs.

I particularly like the intricate designs inside the carousel itself that are small pictures of what looks like his other designs. It also reminds me of sweets and candy that can be related to the artists Carlos n Molina.
 
 
 I started by creating the lid to the piece, using techniques that I learnt in class such as folding the edges sharply to make it look more 3D. Another technique I used was the folding in half of the paper and making slits in it with the scissors. I then took a different approach to this and cut triangles in them, that when opened fully created a diamond shape. This technique I believed fitted the circus theme to Manish Arora's work.


I decided to make the piece look more like a carousel, so I added strips to the outside which I wanted to represent the beams holding the horses up. However, this didn't go according to plan as it looked too crowded as well as all the marks made. I then curled them to make it look more interesting and like more pieces of Manish Arora's work. His work is mainly aimed at eccentric females who like bright colours and would want to stand out, as they are not clothes that would be worn everyday.


I would think his pieces are not easily made due to the intricate designing's, making them seem more expensive. But overall I think his work is interesting and different by involving objects that wouldn't ordinarily be associated with garments in general.
The following are pictures of my final outcome inspired by Manish Arora.


 
I can compare his work to the work of Carlos n Molina. He created art out of paper and similar products. Similar to Manish Arora he created highly colourful 3D pieces that I find to be interesting and attractive to look at. Carlos can also create fashion items out of paper such as shoes and mannequins. I particularly like the below piece as it reminds me of the paper fashion cut outs I used to produce a while ago. I think they are quirky and different and I would be willing to buy them as I imagine many more would too.
 
 
This below piece also reminds me of the piece I produced as it also includes the same techniques that I have used. This is the cutting of the holes in the paper in strips, this shows that although it is a basic technique even the most experienced stylists use it.
 
 
Here are a couple of other pieces that caught my eye and seemed interesting to put on here.
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment